Monday, February 13, 2012

Tuesday Treasures

I dedicate this post to my Valentine treasures - my Darling Husband and my Precious Mum & Dad
Lovely Silver Old and New
I was wearing my fingers down to the shiny bones today polishing these lovely treasures and thought you may like to see them.

My Dressing Table Pretties
I will start with the silver Shoe Button Hook in the centre.
(If you click on the picture you should be able to see it closer and more clearly)
I came across this in my mother's things. I presume it belonged to one of my Grandmothers. It is quite beautiful with printing on the shaft 'Steel English Made' and hallmarks on the silver handle. How fabulous to think that one of these ladies used this to do up her shoes every day. What a job! Thank goodness for pumps and joggers I say! Although there is certainly a delightful charm in button-up boots, lacy bloomers and silk petticoats.

Gramma's Mirror
When my Grandmother, Frances Ethel Ruby (Ettie as she was known - or Gramma to me) died in 1963 I was 9 years old. I was utterly devastated at losing her and still remember the day so well. One of the items she owned was this beautiful silver hand mirror. It rested on her wonderful oak bureau which had inlaid ovals of blue stone behind the hinged pull handles. I would sit on the silk Eiderdown on her bed (she slept in our bungalow) and admire her lovely old items including this old mirror. I don't know when she got it but presume it was when she was married in 1910. My aunt took possession of the mirror and when she died in 1983 it was given to me. I cherish it. I love to think that Gramma used it every day for all of those years to adjust her hair, make up her face or check the back of her dress. There are 5 Angels pressed into the silver. It is still in pretty good condition although the mirror is slightly marked around the edges.
My Anniversary Box
When I was visiting my sister in Brisbane 16 years ago we saw this beautiful jewellery box when out shopping. I was so excited to see something that matched Gramma's mirror. Our 22nd wedding anniversary was nigh so I 'suggested' to DH that he may like to buy it for me. When we got back home we went into the city to DJ's and fortunately they had it there. The top is pressed silver, just like the mirror and although it was a tad over budget it came home with us.
************
These items span so many years - The boot button hook is over 120 years old - The mirror is around 100 years old and the box is a mere pup at 16 years old. I feel so privileged to be the temporary custodian of these beautiful items
************ 
Please join Melody for more Tuesday Treasures this Valentine's Day

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your Tuesdays treasures with us, I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are such beautiful treasures Bronwyn and I loved reading your post about them. You always make it a delight to read. They must look so pretty on your dressing table now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have such beautiful keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely treasures with such nice memories attached. Interesting that the box has the same pattern as the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val. The design must be a classic which was updated a bit for the modern box.

      Delete
  5. Hi Bronwyn, I tried to reply to your comment on my blog but it wouldn't send.
    I have a love of books and have occasionally bought myself a children's book just because it is so cute. I haven't looked at them for quite a while. I think doing some more posts is definitely on the cards.

    Cheers,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm in love with your treasures.They are so beautiful, just as beautiful as the memories they have attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so happy you enjoyed seeing them And reading their stories Teresa. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post. Your memories are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete