Here is the first project for our class:
Yes there is another one with a slightly different finish; scroll down to see.
|Electronic reader, Phone or iPad cover.|
2. You will need to cut out two fronts which are the size of the device plus 1" in length and 1" in width.
One piece is for the front the other is lining. You may use the same or a contrasting fabric.
3. Cut two backs 2 1/2" longer than the fronts to allow for the turnover.
4. Cut two pieces of pellon. One the same size as the back and one the same size as the front then cut them down by 1/2" in length and 1/2" in width to allow for a 1/4" seam allowance.
4a. Iron the pellon onto the back of one of the fronts and one of the backs.
|Steps 5 & 6 (The ruler is only here to hold the fabric down - do not cut here!)|
6.Turn it out, press with an iron and topstitch 1/4" from the top.
7. Place the back lining on the table right side up.
8. Place the fronts, which are sewn together, on top with the right side up and matching up the bottom edges of all three pieces of fabric.
9. Place the back on top, wrong side up. If this piece has an right way up eg. writing that you want to appear correct when it is folded over the front, then you will need to place it upside-down but still with the right side of the fabric facing down. (I hope this is clear?)
10. Make sure the bottoms of all these layers are aligned.
12. Sew with a 1/4" seam leaving a gap along the bottom of about 3".
14. Turn it out the right way and gently press all the seams flat. (Oops I turned it out the wrong way but tried again and it was fine - Phew thought I had made a booboo)
15. Fold in and iron the turning seam at the bottom. Topstitch along the bottom from one side to the other using a securing stitch at both ends.
16. You may also topstitch around the flap if you wish.
17. Finish off with a button, as I did or with press-studs or velcro.
VOILA! and Good Job!
Here is the second project
Here is the second project
|This cover has a folded flap which is just a little more fiddly to do.|
Step 3. Cut the backs 1 1/2" longer than the fronts.
Steps 4-6 are the same as for the first project.
Step 8. Turn and iron the seam then topstitch 1/4" from top.
Step 9. Place the front section (which is already sewn together) in between the back and the back lining aligning the bottom of all the pieces. If there is an upside down piece for the fold over this should be on the top as shown in the picture above (it is the piece folded back to show you the fronts. Can you see it is upside down?)
Step 10. As shown in the picture above concertina the top of the back down over the front.
Can you see how the back is folded firmly down on top of the front section?
Step 15. Turn the little open section across the bottom in and iron it neatly then sew across with a narrow topstitch making sure that you catch all the layers.
|DaDah! Your finished cover.|
I hope my instructions have been easy to follow.
Please link me if you make one I would love to see your version.
Happy Sewing everyone!!